Before I show you how to get over a cold quick let me surprise you:
In 1918, one of the worst calamities to ever befall man happened – almost 8 million people died in Spain- more than those who died in the course of the entire World War I.
Reason? Flu! Can you imagine?
Though christened Spanish flu, it is believed that the Flu originated somewhere in Kansas before spreading like bushfire, aided by the frequent movement of troops during the war season.
By the end of it all, around 5% of the entire world population had been felled by this pandemic!
People all over the world have always sought for the fastest way to get rid of a cold…but somehow every now and then, flu viruses have their own way of pulling a fast one on men.
In fact, since the great tragedy of the Spanish flu, there have been some other three major outbreaks of flu but thanks to the fantastic advancement in medical technology; the results have not been as devastating.
I am talking about the Swine Flu (2009-2010) which infected between 43-89 million people around the world.
Before then, you might have heard of the Hong Kong Flu which killed 1 million people(1968-1969) and the China originated Asian flu pandemic which went with around 1-4 million.
And Flu doesn’t seem as if it’s going anywhere any time soon:
Today, Flu related infections affect up to 20% of Americans while the WHO (World Health Organization) reports that between 3-5 Million people suffer from a form of Flu infection each year with a whopping 500,000 succumbing to death.
As usual, we like helping. We like it when we help you be sharing great tips that we unearth during our engrossing researches and drills.
Recently, after seeing one of our colleagues falling to a bout of Flu, my editor decided it’s time to take this Flu Giant head one.
So, with the help of our doctor friends (they prefer to remain anonymous) from one of the local medical facilities, we went off on a digging mission- the whole investigation and fact gathering process lasted a whole 3 months.
And thanks to my secret 3 friends (one is a practicing pharmacist), we have this Flu combating write up.
Read on if you want to know exactly how to get over a cold quickly, know of some of the magic-like natural remedies for cold, the best over the counter cold medicine, the best home remedies for flu and even ways to get rid of a cold fast naturally.
So, Who Is This Devastating And Mysterious Troublemaker?
In French, its la grippe (meaning from gripper, that is “to grasp or hook).
In Arabic, its anf-al-anza, which loosely translates to “nose of the goat”- simply goats were assumed to be chief carriers of this disease.
- Types of Flu viruses
- What Are The Symptoms Of Flu?
- Best Remedies for Cold and Flu.
- Best Home Remedies For Cold And Flu.
- What Is The Best Cold Medicine To Get Over A Cold Quickly?
- Finally, Here Are The Cold Medicine That Works:
- Advil Pain Reliever / Fever Reducer Coated Tablet, 200mg.
- Vicks NyQuil and DayQuil SEVERE Cough Cold and Flu Relief.
- Mucinex Fast-Max Day/Night Severe Cold & Flu Caplets.
- Bee Propolis – Immune Support – Sore Throat Spray.
- Benadryl Allergy Plus Congestion Ultra Tablets.
- Vicks NyQuil and DayQuil SEVERE Cough Cold and Flu Relief Liquid.
- Mucinex DM 12 Hr Max Strength Expectorant & Cough Suppressant Tablets.
- Cold And Flu Medicine Buying Guide: How To Get Over A Cold Quick With Caution.
- 10 Awesome Safety Tips To Consider.
- Avoid This Anytime You Have Common Cold…
- This Doesn’t Work…
- This Is How You To Survive A Day With Cold/Flu
- The Dreaded ‘Man ‘Flu’ Is Real!
Types of Flu viruses
The Flu virus exists in three different types: Type A, B, and C.
Let’s briefly skim over them:
Type A and B is normally responsible for all respiratory illnesses that tend to occur after every winter. They are often associated with higher rates of hospitalization and deaths.
Type C is lightly different. It causes in you just a mild respiratory illness and may even have no symptoms at all.
The good news is that it is not as devastating as the other 2 so a lot of times, control efforts are concentrated on A and B
Expect Flu Twice a Decade
You know that you will always get flu at some point unless you have a miracle like immunity system
But it seems that things are not as bad as many thought:
According to this study, you can expect to get a flu infection twice each decade. Well, that’s way below what most people think.
However, for your children, expect them to go down at least once per every year.
Yes, there are a few lucky fellas who are avoided by the viruses like plague but this is a rarity- If you are in that group, congratulations!-you will never have to ask about the
quickest way to get over a cold or flu
What Are The Symptoms Of Flu?
Do you know that flu viruses can survive for as long as 48 hours on hard surfaces like on stainless steel?
What about on your cloth and tissues? Here the Virus can hold up for up to 12 hours.
It’s worse when it comes to your body:
At normal human body temperature, they remain potent for a whole week while at freezing temperatures; they will be infectious for up to 30 days.
If the temperatures are below freezing point, the Viruses live indefinitely!
- Fever (in adults, around 100 to 103 degrees Fahrenheit while even higher in children)
- Sore throat
- Stuffy or running nose
- Muscle aches
- Extreme fatigue
Sometimes, you may experience diarrhoea, nausea, and even vomiting especially in kids. However gastrointestinal symptoms are not such common.
Best Remedies for Cold and Flu.
Common cold and flu doesn’t have any cure- after all, it’s a viral infection and viral infections are generally harder to treat since viruses hide deep inside body cells where they can’t be reached by antibodies.
But trying cold remedies to try at feel better a little faster isn’t a bad idea. Or is it?
I want to take you through some of the best home remedies for a cold before talking about the best cold medicine.
Best Home Remedies For Cold And Flu.
When it catches you in the wee hours of the night, you most likely scratch your head wondering how to get rid of a cold overnight especially if you have an important engagement in the morning.
Since at that time you might not be having any of the recommended or best medicine for cold, you have to make do with home cold remedies
Here are some awesome home remedies for common cold:
For many years, Ginger has been touted as having wonderful curative properties. A few slices of the root dipped in dipped in boiling water help soothe that sore throat or the irritating cough.
Try this- it’s has even been suggested as one of the preferred home remedies for head cold
Ø Take A Shower
If you don’t know, taking a hot shower can be fabulous in flu treatment. It is believed that the hot steams loosen up the mucous in your nose and throat thus making you feel much better.
Bathing also helps reduce the germs concentration by disrupting their distribution in your body.
Still on how to get rid of a cold fast at home, you can also try honey. You can take it plain or with lemon.
It again soothes your irritating throat apart from enabling your body to relax– thanks to its powerful antimicrobial and antibacterial properties.
Ø Citrus Fruits
When passed through your body, Vitamin C helps sooth some of the effects of flu thus offering you further relief from cold.
So, eat citrus fruit such as limes, grapefruits, lemons, and oranges then wait- you might end up much better.
You can also take it as a pill.
When chewed raw, Garlic is bitter but this is another home remedy which works for me. You can consider adding some garlic supplement to food and see how it pans out.
Ø Drink Fluids And In Plenty
Water helps dissolve toxins from your body. Keep sipping at your water bottle – you should surely feel good even if temporarily.
Some prefer hot water, others tap water while we also have some who feel that salty water is the real deal.
Pure tea and tea mushroom(Kombucha) also works well.
The herb has multiple active ingredients including flavonoids and related chemicals said to have great therapeutic effects on your body.
Americans have used to treat flu for over 400 years so it must be effective.
Take 1-2 grams of its root or the herb (added to tea) thrice daily, for around one week.
Among the recommended home remedies for the common cold are chicken noodle soup and indeed other soup variants.
Apart from soup being a comfort food, it also gives you plenty of water.
It’s not possible to answer the question of how to get over a cold quick if we don’t include yoghurt due to its friendly bacteria (probiotic).
Take it to reduce the pain in your upper respiratory area. It also works perfectly as a protector of your immunity system.
Ø Chewing gum
Chewing gum (especially mint flavoured) is one of the most common cold home remedies. When you chew, your plugged sinuses clear up.
I also like the distracting factor- it makes me briefly forget about the symptoms.
I have to admit that this is what works best for me! Anytime I feel those niggling signs, I take aim at them by taking a shot of my favourite whiskey!
Let me add that my good doctor friends insisted that it doesn’t make me any healthy but the bottom line is that I don’t feel the flu afterwards.
Some have voted this the best remedy for cold. What I know is that resting normally reduces the effects of many ailments.
So, go to bed and let sleep engulf you. You never know if that’s what will work for you.
For me, I prefer to sleep immediately after my shot and that works like a charm (I am not sure if I should thank my whisky or my sleeping gods)
Ø Use A Vaporizer
You can try a vaporizer mixed with a few peppermint drops or eucalyptus oil
What Is The Best Cold Medicine To Get Over A Cold Quickly?
Professionally, common cold won’t need anti-viral drugs. You should let it be and within two weeks, it should be done with you and moved to the next target.
You go for the best over the counter cold and flu medicine!
My pharmacist partner was phenomenal when we reached this stage- personally I prefer home remedies so I would have fired blanks here were it not for Ted (Oops! I just revealed his name- Sorry Ted!)
Let’s talk about the ingredients in your cold medication first:
The major ones are:
- Decongestants: These ease congestion in your nose and chest. Pseudoephedrine and phenylephrine fall under this group
- Expectorants: These loosen mucus so you can cough easily. A good example is guaifenesin.
- Cough Suppressants: These block your cough reflex, thus reducing the urge to cough. Dextromethorphan is an excellent example.
- Analgesics: These relieve pain. The most popular are acetaminophen and the NSAIDs (non-steroidal /anti-inflammatory drugs) such as aspirin, naproxen and ibuprofen.
- Antihistamines: These treat allergies, which with symptoms similar to those of a cold. Chlorpheniramine maleate, doxylamine & diphenhydramine are here.
- Combination Medicines: These multiple ingredients, and treat multiple symptoms
Finally, Here Are The Cold Medicine That Works:
Advil Pain Reliever / Fever Reducer Coated Tablet, 200mg.
While flu-related problems can occur any time, it is the very young kids, the elderly, pregnant women, and people with serious health problems who are at more risk.
When attacked, you can administer the Advil pain reliever.
It has been trusted by both patients and doctors to bring fast and lasting relief from many pains such as headaches, backaches, muscle aches, mild arthritis and joint pain.
One of the most popular over-the-counter (OTC) solutions, Advil is powered by ibuprofen- itself an effective fever reducer and pain reliever.
This is one of the most effective cold medicine
- Ibuprofen powered
- OTC pill
- NSAID (non steroidal and anti-inflammatory)
- Effective on tough pains
- Very effective on tough colds
- Safe for use (NSAID)
- Has long-lasting effect
- You can use for other pains
- Fast acting
- May cause an allergic reaction for those allergic to aspirin
Advil is one of the best medicine for runny nose and multiple other pains. You will love its fast reaction and effectiveness.
No wonder, majority of doctors recommend it as a premier pain reliever.
Vicks NyQuil and DayQuil SEVERE Cough Cold and Flu Relief.
A sure way to treat a sore throat is by using painkillers found in most over-the-counter medicines.
NyQuil & DayQuil cough relief has acetaminophen, a powerful pain reliever which also performs marvellously in reducing fever.
It has been used to fight the worst cold symptoms to great effect.
With it, you will never worry again about how to get rid of a runny nose – not even when you haveCHECK PRICE. a SEVERE infection. You will always end up feeling much better.
- Active ingredient: Acetaminophen
- Blister pack
- It is very effective against sore throat/colds
- Decongests your respiratory tract
- Works well with kids
- The pills are easy to swallow
- You are not left with a bad aftertaste
- The double packaging is convenient
- May make you feel drowsy afterwards
This is a highly lethal weapon against sore throat and terrible flu.
The acetaminophen works behind the scenes to make your body inhabitable for viruses in the process making it very effective as a fever reducer and pain reliever.
It is an obvious answer to those who ask about how to get over a cold quick.
Mucinex Fast-Max Day/Night Severe Cold & Flu Caplets.
Having excessive mucus (phlegm) is very bothersome. It may lead to many hours of persistent throat clearing and annoying cough.
If lucky, this is a short-term problem that will only disturb you for the duration of your infection. But for others, it can be an on-going issue with no little relief in sight.
Clearing mucus is one of the major headaches whenever you go down with flu considering that that no cold is complete without mucus.
When fighting colds, Mucinex fast-max severe flu caplets can deliver relief. They help restrain headaches, clears up nasal congestion on top of breaking up the mucus party taking place in your chest.
- Great nasal/congestion clearing Formula
- Active ingredient: Acetaminophen
- Clears nasal congestion and helps you sleep
- Relieves pressure
- Great packing size for travelling
- Comes at a fabulous price
- Works fast
- Lasts longer
- Leaves a bad aftertaste especially if you chew the pills
Clearing up your mucus and removing congestion in your throat is one of the major steps towards reducing suffering from the symptoms of cold.
Not many medicines for cold and flu clear mucus the way Mucinex Fast-Max Flu Caplets do it.
It pleases even the hardest to please.
Bee Propolis – Immune Support – Sore Throat Spray.
All fruits and vegetables are usually pollinated by honey bees. Pollination is important not just for our food but is also vital for Medicinal products.
The natural bee propolis throat spray is created with high quality propolis extracted from bees.
Propolis is what bees collect from trees and plant resins so as to line their hives and protect them from bacteria and all viruses.
The spray has a unique formulation that consists of only three clean, simple ingredients i.e. propolis, purified water and natural vegetable glycerine.
This guarantees maximum effectiveness against sore throat and coughs apart from being a natural immune booster!
- Delicious taste
- Alcohol-free propolis formula
- Pocket size
- Operates at maximum effectiveness
- Convenient to carry -perfect fits in your pocket or your purse
- Very versatile- combats dry coughs, colds, sore throats, flu or laryngitis
- Tastes good
- Safe as it is alcohol-free
- Helps strengthen your immune system deterring future infection
- A great healer this is – we didn’t find any major complaint
The natural bee propolis throat spray is one of the best cold medicine for adults.
Extracted from honey, the spray is convenient to carry, has a yummy taste and is alcohol-free thus safe to use even with your kids.
The best of it all is that it doesn’t only wrestle all flu symptoms; it also beefs up your immunity system so that you will be re-infected any time soon.
Benadryl Allergy Plus Congestion Ultra Tablets.
Scientists strongly believe that flu and related pandemics happen twice or thrice each century.
However allergies are much more common:
The Benadryl allergy plus tablets works fast to rescue you from allergy symptoms, nasal congestion, and throat pressure.
Each tablet has 25 milligrams of the diphenhydramine antihistamine which performs marvellously in treating allergies and another 10 milligrams of phenylephrine-a great nasal decongestant.
It’s quite an excellent treatment and is recognised as among the best medicine for runny nose.
- Active ingredient 1 : antihistamine
- Active ingredient 2: phenylephrine
- Allergy and congestion relief
- Offers full relief from allergies
- It also helps clear up congestion
- Helps you sleep
- Easy to take
- Acts quickly to restore your health
- Benadryl tablets can lead to hallucinations if you overdose
The antihistamine and phenylephrine combines to rescue you from allergy symptoms and with congestion relief.
It also temporarily relieves runny nose, sneezing, and congestion due to the common cold, as well as sinus congestion and pressure.
Vicks NyQuil and DayQuil SEVERE Cough Cold and Flu Relief Liquid.
According to the American-English Dictionary, total war is “an unrestricted war in which all the laws of war are discarded and people fight without regard to any exiting limitations and/or regulations.”
Sometimes, the only way you can free yourself from the shackles of flu is by declaring total war on it and take a medication that treat diverse symptoms.
A terrific way of fighting this war is by using the Nyquil and Dayquil flu relief.
It has top symptom-fighting ingredients which help relieve your worst colds- whether day or night, the symptoms will soon be gone.
- Active ingredient: acetaminophen
- Severe co-pack
- Comes at a good price
- Works efficiently to release symptoms both day and night
- It’s a liquid(syrup) so no struggle when taking it
- It able to treat any other pain ailments
- Doesn’t leave a sore taste in your mouth
- Sometimes, your nose may feel dry after taking it.
- Again, you may feel hazy and tire on waking up
Going to war requires a perfect weapon. Here, the Nyquil and Dayquil flu relief acts as an outstanding weapon against cold and flu.
The acetaminophen will take care of everything and have you rediscovering your happiness soon after.
Mucinex DM 12 Hr Max Strength Expectorant & Cough Suppressant Tablets.
Taking a slow and absorbing multivitamin tablets after every few days is a bright idea if you want to prevent flu viruses from ever attacking your immunity system.
But if you are already down, you can go for the mucinex max 12 hour expectorant tablets. It contains guaifenesin- an expectorant medicine that brings up phlegm and dextromethorphan- a common ingredient in many cold and cough medications.
These two compounds will deliver you from your suffering.
- Bi-layer tablet
- Active ingredients: Guaifenesin and dextromethorphan
- It stops both wet and dry coughs
- Removes mucus that otherwise congest your chest
- Starts working right away
- Its effects can be felt even after a whole 12 hours of swallowing
- It is recommended as a powerful OTC expectorant
- The pill may make you sleepy
Another solution ranked as one of the best medicine for flu, the mucinex expectorant and cough suppresser is recommended even by doctors as an outstanding pain reliever and flu combatant.
There would be no need to look further than the mucinex max 12- hour expectorant if you are serious about doing away with your cold.
In fact, you will finally get the guts to tell your pals that you already know how to get over a cold quick.
Cold And Flu Medicine Buying Guide: How To Get Over A Cold Quick With Caution.
Here are some awesome tips to help you when buying OTC medication:
Typically, cold/seasonal flu will have a multiple symptoms, so it is important to treat the correct ones.
For instance, a person having a running nose and a sore throat should avoid using medications that has ingredients aimed at controlling coughs
- Type Of Therapy
Treatments are various forms, including powders, syrups, pills, sprays and capsules. Go for the one you find easy to take?
- Adverse Effects
Like any other medication, OTC drugs may have side effects.
They may not be that severe, but lengthy use or overuse may potentially have negative impact.
Older people, children, and those living with other health complications, as well as those using other medications are the most affected.
Before buying it, find out what are their potential reactions with your body- the rule is safety first
- And For Children?
Treatments with dextromethorphan as an ingredient should never be given to kids below 4 years.
Then, though OTC medications usually do not require a prescription, its best for kids to consult a paediatrician before use.
Remember prolonged use and/or overdose maybe fatal.
Finally, store all medications far away from your children
You will need to have an idea of what the law says in your area.
For instance, in the U.S, all OTC cold remedies not sold from behind the counter must have phenylephrine.
But those selling from behind the counter in pharmacies still have pseudoephedrine.
The issue is that you must present a legal document such as a valid ID to access them.
Also, the amount you can buy is restricted-at least within a certain time duration due to the risks involved in using these treatments.
- Your Medical History
It’s funny but in case of colds. What works for me may not work for you.
Medication is therefore, a trial and error process. But over time, you will get to know the best cold and flu medication that works for you.
This is what you should stick to.
10 Awesome Safety Tips To Consider.
For adults, we need instant results so you will most likely go for the very best flu medicine for adults. It is the same case with kids.
Nevertheless, your safety is very important. Here are some great safety tips to guide you whenever using OTC remedies:
- Contact a physician if your symptoms worsen or if you don’t experience any improvement after 2 days. In cases of coughs, the limit is 2 weeks. Also if a cough keeps coming back, do not self-medicate.
- Only use the treatment that fixes the symptoms you have
- Always read the description on the label keenly to know the correct dosage.
- Never administer combination medications to kids fewer than 4 years.
- Be on the lookout for warnings of drowsiness, alcohol, and driving. Observe these
- Check the treatment’s fact sheet to see the age from which the medication can be used.
- Never exceed recommended dosage.
- Only use combination treatment for symptoms highlighted on the fact sheet.
- It’s advisable to consult a healthcare professional first when pregnant or if breastfeeding and also when taking other prescription medication.
- Be sure to avoid over-riding of ingredients that happens when you use multiple products.
Avoid This Anytime You Have Common Cold…
- Sometimes you overblow it- don’t you? Don’t! You will damage your mucosal lining if you blow that nose too often, or too hard. Also, coughing too hard/often isn’t good for your throat.
- Never stick unwashed hands into your eyes, mouth, and nose. You will help redeploy viruses to other clean areas.
- DON’T KISS, cuddle or even touch- you will infect your dear ones and create a big party for the viruses
- Drink too much alcohol- it leaves you dehydrated hence worsening the symptoms
- Smoke- this is bad for your lungs. Do it and see things get worse!
- Quit your workout- It can be tough to exercise when having all these symptoms but don’t call it quits. A workout helps you get distracted and also disturbs the viral balance.
This Doesn’t Work…
As you can see, the list of cold remedies is quite long. But we also have some which do not work at all:
These fight bacteria, but don’t help at all against cold viruses. Not only won’t you get well but they can also bring serious problems when your body becomes antibiotic-resistant.
- OTC cold/cough medications for young children
The FDA (Food & Drug Administration) recommends that you avoid using OTC medications for children under the age of 6.
It goes further to warn that OTC cold/cough medications may lead to serious side effects in your children.
This Is How You To Survive A Day With Cold/Flu
Sometimes, you have to go to work despite your flu. This is how you can safely maneuver through the day.
- Drink-Sip healthy drinks throughout the day
- Take ice chips-If you have sore throat, ice chips reduce soreness and pain plus it keeps you hydrated.
- Spray-a saline spray will help your stuffy nose. It also loosens mucus and rinses your sinuses.
- Numb it up- If a tough cough is keeping you out, have cough suppressants with you. Also, add cough drops plus throat spray. The latter two help numb and soothe your sore throat while cough suppressants keep that “urge to cough” feeling at bay.
- Relieve your pain- take OTC acetaminophen, naproxen or ibuprofen to reduce fever and relieve pain.
- Avoid smoke- any smoke is bad for your nose, throat, plus lungs. Keep away.
- Be a loner- avoid contacting colleagues as best as you can to save them from a certain infection
- Take it easy- postpone all involving task (which can wait to later).After all, you should be resting.
- Vaporize- run a humidifier or a mist vaporizer in the room. It will help ease stuffiness and make you breathe better.
The Dreaded ‘Man ‘Flu’ Is Real!
During winter, many men go down with what has come to be known as the dreaded ‘man flu’.
But what is ‘man flu?’
This is a phrase that emphasizes the odd idea that men exaggerate whenever they get mild cold and pretend to have terrible flu
Well, your better half will most like offer you some lemons and perhaps a bowl of soup then keep reminding you that what you have is certainly not worse than any other bout of cold!
So, does the so cold ‘man flu’ really exist?
I am not sure whether this is bad news or good news but scientists seem to have finally succeeded in proving that it’s not a myth.
So, Men’s are now free to turn a simple cold /headache into flu and if your wife/girlfriend protests, kindly remind them of their role (wish you can see me laughing).
Well, scientists believe that it because men practice a You Only Live Once (YOLO) lifestyle meaning they go for experiments and adventure in life at the expense of building their immunity systems like females do.
So, men will ask how to get over a cold quick more frequently than their ladies!
While pondering about how to get over a cold quick, remember there is no cure for cold/flu. But at least, you don’t have to be miserable.
While you may be tempted to rush out for the latest remedy, you can survive by just taking good care of yourself.
Rest, drink healthy fluids and ensure the air around your space is sufficiently moist.
You can also try the best over the counter cold and flu medicine.
At least today, medical technology is so much advanced and help is just within reach. Even if the Spanish flu was to dare make a comeback, it would not be as deadly as it was- not with all these home cold remedies and the outstanding medicine for cold and flu.